View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
On eInk vs LCD

Something else I’d like to mention, related to the ongoing discussions comparing LCD and eInk screens. I pointed out in the above post that I read on PDAs, at home, at work, and about (on my PDA), as I have for over a decade, now. I know how to adjust my LCD screen for brightness, contrast and font size, and I use the ClearType setting that is standard on most Windows systems (including the PDA) for optimum viewing quality. As soon as I get an LCD screen, I make these changes on the spot. That’s why I’ve had no problems reading from LCDs during this time.

During my review period, I used the Astak Pocket PRO during my train-commute to work, a roughly one-hour trip in each direction. I habitually read on my PDA on this commute. Occasionally, my eyes would get fatigued while reading, and I’d close my eyes and doze for a bit, usually to come back to reading later. This happened more often going home than coming in, and it didn’t happen regularly.

During my time with the Pocket PRO, I noticed roughly the same amount of instances when my eyes would get too fatigued to read, and I’d need to take a break. No more, and no less, than reading on a PDA with a smaller LCD screen. My fatigue was caused by overall physical fatigue (and considering I work at a desk all day, that’s not something I’m proud of… but there it is), and my eyes were equally impacted by the type of screen I read from.

Although I realize not everyone’s eyes are like mine, I honestly believe that a great many people who do not like to read on LCD screens have never learned how to properly set them for their eyes’ comfort level. Learning how to adjust these settings has made a world of difference for me, and I think it would be more than enough to make many other people comfortable with LCD reading.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote