View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #23
Kristi K
Kristi K began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad Mini
New user feedback

Hi,

I recently downloaded your app from the app store (I think I gave you your second review), and read an earlier post saying you were working on v2, so thought you'd like some additional feedback. Please keep in mind I'm relatively new to Calibre and don't know any of the ins and outs of it, and I only upgraded to Windows 8 (8.1) a few days ago.

My Calibre database consists of abut 1500 books. When I first used your viewer yesterday, I noticed that I had multiple copies of some books.....when I converted all my books to epub format, it still had all the old formats too. As a db cleanup today I moved all of my original docs/lits/pdbs etc to a separate folder. When I reopened your viewer, I would direct it to the db, it would open to the white screen showing the heading tags etc (no books) and then quickly minimized. Every time I tried to maximize it again, it automatically minimized again. So I uninstalled your viewer and reinstalled. Same issue. I then opened Calibre to check the db...it opened fine, but during library maintenance it founded the missing/moved files, so I 'fixed' the db hoping that was the viewer issue. It wasn't....still had the minimize/maximize issue.

However, left my laptop open and running and left it for an hour. Came back, and your viewer maximized fine and showed all my books.

So, my learning, which may also help your newbie users:
1) ensure calibre db has been maintained: "checked", and that the files in library match the db
2) I suspect when your viewer minimized, it was simply loading my large db of files. During the process, it would not allow me to open it fullscreen, and kept minimizing as soon as I brought it up. From a user perspective, I assumed it was crashing or malfunctioning. Having a screen telling the user what your program was doing (e.g. "Please wait while your database is loading") may help avoid some confusion.

Side note: Tags are how I have sorted my entire db. I know you said in an earlier post that you are not a big tag user...but please keep this functionality to your viewer as it is a necessity for my use.

Not sure if any of that was useful information, but since you've made the effort of making the software, I thought i'd pass on my experience thusfar.

Kristi
Kristi K is offline   Reply With Quote