View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
@Issybird. Genre is a terribly limiting concept. Saying something is one thing is limiting and generally not conducive to useful discussion. I know it's human nature to pigeon-hole things in one spot and some things work well for that, but others don't. There will always be things on the fence, but, hopefully the forum is a democracy and voting sorts out what most think fit with any given month's category and what most think don't. I think it was a valid point that we should look at the duplicate categories and pick a theme for them. If people want more serious titles, people will nominate and vote for them inside of those themes. The split between literary (serious) and more light-hearted already exists. I'd like to see a prize winner category (not necessarily restricted to Pulitzer, but add in Booker, Giller, maybe Orange).

Does anyone have a list of the books actually selected over the time that the book club has been around? I'm just curious.

I've started compiling a reading list for myself for next year and I've decided I need more variety, but I've skipped looking at genre and said I'll pick something from every decade that people put in the best lists of the decade on Goodreads. So far, I'm pretty happy with where that is leading me.

The only thing I can suggest for your quest is to do a search for all "Book club" threads and go from there. I do know that at the end of any book club thread there are at least 4 links to other book club threads. Will edit this post if I find any more helpful info.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote