View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Since others have been nice enough to provide you another set of instructions to help you create collections I'll touch on some of your other points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisondbl View Post
on use of Calibre plugin intended for reader to intuit that if one pressed "show" next to "Spoiler" on first page of thread one got a set of hidden instructions.
I'm glad you figured out that if you clicked the "Show" button under obvious headers describing what the section is about that you would see instructions. I guess you did intuit the nature of these buttons.

Well Done!

Quote:
I'm sorry but use of the word "spoiler" IN NO WAY clues someone into hidden instructions.
The use of "Spoiler" is a internet standard that has been built into forum software since shortly after internet forums began. Usually used to alert the user that if they click the button then key info will be shown that might spoil their enjoyment of the Movie, TV show, Broadway Play, Novel, etc... being discussed and to proceed at their own risk.

Quote:
I'll assume that this was done because there is some coding problem that means that to hide instructions the WORD "spoilers" must somehow be used instead of say ... INSTRUCTIONS as the ONLY way to not kluge up the thread with a long list of instructions but instead allow cherrypicking.
You are correct, except it isn't a problem, it's a feature.

Since the spoiler feature is built in to every forum software that exists it is often used for other things as needed. In this case it is being used to present a clean post allowing folks to go to the section they require without getting swamped by a giant post.

Using Spoiler tags (the button in advanced editing of the eye with a red X over it) is considered polite and good practice in creating such a post.

Quote:
If so, then may I suggest editing the original post so as to SAY that clicking on 'show' next to 'spoiler' would provide the instructions?
Editing the word Spoiler isn't possible. It might be able to be made clearer with a better initial description, but honestly this is something one intuits shortly after being exposed to internet forums.

Quote:
So my not having books in Calibre right way makes this useless?
I don't know what the "right way" refers to, but calibre is a ebook management tool and if you want to use all of its features you need to have your books in the library.

Good Luck.

Update: Kudos to meme for a great plugin and a great first post guiding folks through the instructions needed to install and use ihe plugin.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-24-2011 at 08:01 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote