View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #40
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I thought it had been verified that the logs weren't being sent (unless, presumably, they ask for them, probably in a customer support role)? All you're saving is a ping every minute or so (still a waste of power, mind you).

Myself I buy a lot from Amazon -- living a long way from any physical bookshops will do that -- so I was very happy when the backdoorlock came out so I could use Amazon as, well, y'know, the *bookshop* they wanted me to use it for when they sold me the Kindle without having to worry that they'd shove JBPatch-and-hyphenation-breaking upgrades down my throat without asking.
To be honest. NOTHING leaves my kindle that I don't like the look of. Period.

When I see logs that contain personal data (whether they are sent or not) that makes me bristle... I dont recall reading "The Device will log all the wifi hotspots, 3g towers, books you read and times you do things" in the sales patter. But tin-hatting aside. The question was on battery life. My instinct would be it lives longer. As I mooted.

I have no solid metrics for this. Happy to be wrong. Or right.

Given that my devices almost never are off-charge and almost never go to screen saver they would die in about a day on average if they did go off-charge. Perhaps a little more.

Re the "bookstore". Have to agree, it is a very effective means of getting new reading material and as you say the issue of unwanted updates is the main bugbear. Kudos for an end to all that.

Would like to see the link that confirms logs are never sent, that said it is a "non-issue" in my mind now.

As KNC1 rightly points out the default preferences are actually forgiving of some "generally required" functionality and no doubt in the future there may be a few extra options should that prove prudent.

: )

I hope that underlines my view.

Probably longer.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote