View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
...According to the spoiler text in the first post there seems to be a heavily abridged version.
I added that in at the bottom of that spoiler because I noticed the major title and length discrepancies while looking it up on Goodreads; I think it was the only thing I added in to any of desertblues' spoiler descriptions.

I haven't researched much, but from what I did see, the abridged "Monkey" version is around 300 pages while the complete version seems to be around 2,000 pages. You can see the same search I did by clicking on the book title in the first post; it's also the only one I didn't link to a specific book page but rather to the search page because there were different versions and editions of it not linked together.

ETA - Here is a link to a summary of the translations - Link

From another page on the same linked website, here's a quote about the abridged translation titled "Monkey":

Quote:
The English translator, Arthur Waley, chose this title because of the importance of the Stone Monkey King to the chapters he chose to translate (Waley translated only thirty of the original one hundred chapters of Wu's book).

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-06-2014 at 03:35 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote