View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchiang View Post
Not every document below will have these requirements, but these are some of the types that can be painful on a smaller or less-powerful eReader.
  • Comic Books (sometimes image heavy)
  • Technical documents and academic papers (fine text, diagrams)
  • Technical books (different font styles, images)
  • Role Playing Game Books (lots of color images)
Well put. Books that work in paperback size are well served by the existing top of the range readers. Essentially high end readers for those purposes already exist (though I can see that some would prefer to push the size up to 7" with the device still easy to hold).

But for documents formatted for A4 or Letter, or with lots of diagrams and images, we still need a really top notch large size reader, and from experience with even high resolution tablets, a 10" class device is the minimum. That 9.7" display sounds fine.

I'd agree that Android OS is a debatable rather than necessary requirement. As long as the reader can handle the ebook formats and pdfs then additional apps are at best a 'nice to have' and at worse a complication and distraction.

I'd add that it needs good image handling so that you can seamlessly bring images and tables up 'full screen'.

I'd also like to see the ability to switch between books without exiting and reloading them - call it fast switching - or even a way to split the screen to look at two documents at once.

And, of course, as light as possible and reasonably priced.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote