View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 06:14 AM   #27
Julian Smart
Enthusiast
Julian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enoughJulian Smart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Yes, you were right. That was the problem. Though I couldn't correct it in Jutoh - the chapter names in the body text didn't tell me what order they should be in, so I had to take the file back into Sigil (which opened the files in the correct order) and edit the "Title" tag. Even then, bringing them back into Jutoh did a couple of strange things: the first file, the book cover, had "Cover" in the "title" tag, but Jutoh for some reason renamed that to "Start" - no idea why.

Julian, why does Jutoh re-order the files on import? It seems to sort them alphabetically by the contents of the "title" tag, but why do that? Wouldn't it be better to simply use the order in the existing ePub? I know the files can be manually re-ordered, but unless I missed something the re-ordering process is quite laborious, being click-and-drag, one file at a time - and if there are more files in the document than can fit in the dialogue at one time, moving even one file is click-and-drag, scroll the dialogue, click-and-drag ... it does go on a bit.

If I sound like I'm slagging the software, I apologise - that's not my intention. I'm trying to evaluate the workflow of formatting an ePub using Jutoh, as compared to other options. I don't have CSS skills, so Sigil isn't a solution on its own; but it looks like a combination of Jutoh and Sigil will be required. I use Adobe InDesign professionally, but that's not so slick as one might assume it would be, and also requires Sigil afterwards to clean up its output as well. I really appreciate the ability to modify an ePub file in an (almost-)WYSIWYG environment.

I found one glitch, Julian: when exporting to ePub, the software defaults to the name of the book for the name of the ePub, but lets you modify the name chosen. Well and good. Then it tries to ePubCheck the saved ePub, but doesn't remember any modification you've made to the file's name. It still looks for an ePub named after the book's original title, and gives an error message if it doesn't find it, and doesn't let you modify the name of the ePub it should be searching for.

Again, thanks for your efforts in this software. It certainly fills a niche.
Hello,

I'm a bit mystified why it imported sections in the wrong order. Jutoh does use the ordering in the .opf file when parsing the Epub. I wonder if you could send me a sample that demonstrates the problem so I can see what's happening.

The 'Start' section title is also a mystery, it must be there in the Epub as I don't think this is something Jutoh would insert automatically.

Hopefully if we can find out what's going on with your file, we can reduce or eliminate the need to use Sigil on Jutoh's output.

Title naming - perhaps Jutoh should have an option to use the first-found section title instead of using the title tag.

Checking - I see what you mean, but when you use Export you're kind of circumventing the normal Jutoh work flow; you could instead change the Epub filename in the configuration to allow Jutoh to know which file to check. I'm not sure if Jutoh should do anything different because you could be exporting to umpteen different .epub files and Jutoh can't know which one you want to check (the file specified in Export doesn't have any permanent significance as far as Jutoh is concerned). Something for me to think about anyway.

Thanks,

Julian
Julian Smart is offline   Reply With Quote