View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
Trono
Enthusiast
Trono began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Hi again - and thanks to all for responding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpkeong View Post
Anyway, there is advice from a site from Shanghai on how to protect e-ink as it is somekind of fragile display if not properly handled - that;s why leather cover is provided to protect screen from any strong impact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
… This can be caused by stress on the screen, either because a user has accidentally dropped or knocked the device, or possibly as a manufacturing fault.
Since you have ruled out the former, then it is certainly worth claiming on the warranty.
--> Leather cover has been used from day one, and - as I said - I believe I've treated it with much care :-) Fingers crossed about the warranty, but, as you will see in the response from Jinke, its apparently only valid for one year…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
That does indeed look like a broken substrate. If I had to guess, the impact/pressure point was probably in the center of the lower right quadrant of the screen (what is the upper right in the image), right on the oval area from which all the cracks radiate.

And for the record, I've also had a broken substrate on my V3.
--> Broken substrate means physical damage, right? Did you get the screen repaired or replaced? Or maybe you bought a new device entirely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bag View Post
My friend has the same problem as yours. He has paid $92 for a new screen.
--> I assume it was Jinke who replaced the screen? Did he have to mail it all the way to China, or do they have agents within shorter distances? Who paid for shipping back and forth?

----------------------

For my own part - here's the recent developement: The people at Jinke are - as usual - extremely service minded, and have responded several times allready on my requests - here's the latest:

Our engineers have double check the picture again. According their experience, the screen looks like broken. Please check the attachment; I have made a red circle on the picture. The circle part looks like broken.
We can not 100% sure that is not broken. If you can refresh the screen, and the circle park became blank. It will much easier to make the estimation

I just talk to my boss about your device. Even though the warranty is one year, we still like to do the free repair for you. If the screen is broken, there get be $85 for screen replacement. We will replace viplex screen, new case and latest firmware.

I think this is an offer worth considering of course - especially when I see that the price has dropped $ 7 compared to T-bags friend . When I bought the V3 I paid $ 67 for shipping one way, and assuming we split the cost - one way each - the repair will cost me $ 152.

Considering my options:
- Not having a usable eReading device anymore - is NOT an alternative
- If forced to buy a new one (no fix and no replacement) - I would probably buy the same device all over again.

Therefor, although unforeseen costs never are welcome, this offer from Jinke is absolutely preferable.

Trono
Trono is offline   Reply With Quote