View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
I disagree. For years I've been carrying around pretty much everything I ever do on the computer on an portable 1TB drive. (Hooray for portable programs!) It's nice to have my entire computing platform available any time I'm at a computer.

Data on an internal hard drive has multiple points of failure that can leave you without your data for possibly days. If the motherboard fails or the power supply fails, or any number of issues arise, you may have to perform surgery on your computer to get up and running.

With your data on an external drive, then if my main computer dies, I can still plug my external drive into my laptop and be up and running within minutes.

I will admit that an external drive is more likely to fail than an internal one, but if I'm making regular backups anyway, what difference does it make?
I was thinking more of Loss-damage Physical security:
Cable knocked loose while in use.
Drive knocked OFF of the desk surface (not a problem if on the floor, unless kicked)
Left behind when not using at home
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote