View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #51
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
I’ve always been an avid reader, but came out of high school with a profound dislike for nearly every book and author I had been ‘forced’ to read for class. Years later, out of curiosity, I made a list of all those books/authors and started working my way back through them to make sure I’d been fair.

I was surprised to find I liked many of my old demons: Dickens, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, Shakespeare, Conrad, most of the British Romantic poets, a lot of the Modern poets - the list goes on - even Cry, The Beloved Country (which, at 16, I was convinced was the most wretched book ever inflicted on anyone).

I’m still not a fan of Thomas Hardy or Nathaniel Hawthorne, and I doubt I’ll ever finish Moby Dick, but I DID give them another try.
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote