View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
alstein
Enthusiast
alstein began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Sony Reader Store (Canada) incident

Hi, I recently purchased a Sony Reader Touch Edition in the USA. After setting up the reader software from my PC at home, I purchased a few books from the Sony Reader store. I live in Canada, and the account information reflects this. The store actually has a "eBook Store Canada" section listed as a category under bestsellers (strange). After purchasing a couple of books which I had assumed were being charged in Canadian funds, I decided to check. contacted Sony and was told that I would not be charged in US funds. When I checked my credit card a couple of days later, I had been charged in US funds, which were then converted to Canadian funds at the prevailing exchange rate. I called Sony again, and spoke to a supervisor who confirmned that the Reader store charges Canadian clients in US funds, and that the charges are then converted by the credit card company. I am quite surprised, since I assumed that if there was a Canadian Reader store that I woold be charged in Canadian funds. Nowhere in the FAQ, or on the site, was I able to find any information about this. I mentioned that I buy music form iTunes Canada and am charged in Canadian Funds. It just doesn't make sense. I then decided to try out the Kobo store, and was able to purchase a book and was charged in Canadian funds. Interestingly, when I downloaded the book, it populated on my Sony Reader Library software. The book I downloaded was Jericho's fall by Steven L. Carter. Kobo charged $10.59 CDN, and Sony is charging 18.17USF.
alstein is offline   Reply With Quote