View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Building pdfviewer from PocketBook sources

I'm a bit disappointed with the way fonts are rendered in AdobeViewer and pdfviewer. Thin fonts that were designed for paper end up mostly as grey pixels when rendered with anti-aliasing turned on. Turning off ant-aliasing (in the main configuration) does nothing for AdobeViewer on my device, but it does affect pdfviewer. In the latter case, the fonts are rendered darker, but the strokes are very thin.

Long ago, @LoneTech suggested that ebook specific hints for fontconfig might be useful for improving the output. So, with that in mind, I downloaded the source code for pdfviewer from the repository to hack on it and see if I could make the text look clearer. Unfortunately, the source code seems to be all there, but the makefiles and configuration info isn't. So, there is no way to build the code as is. Has anyone put together the necessary files for building pdfviewer?

Edit: the config.h file is there for poppler, so that helps when trying to decide what configure options to use.

Last edited by rkomar; 06-23-2012 at 06:12 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote