Thread: Toc.ncx
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
But nobody wants the ToC inside an ePub. ePub has a perfectly good external ToC. Blame the conversion software for putting the ToC (from toc.ncx) at the back. That is a software conversion issue, not an issue with toc.ncx.

Why not log it as a bug in Calibre or make it a feature request to be able to specify where the ToC goes when converted from toc.ncx?
I just knew this question would draw you out of the woodwork.
There are no bugs here, Jon. Only personal preferences (placement) and what you like/don't like (two ToCs)... and differing workflow practices. Why would you even care how mobi's are made?

My own workflow is to build an ePub with a Toc (html) inside the ePub—exactly where I want it; front, back, middle. Then I convert the ePub to mobi... I get a happy mobi with a ToC (where I want it) and the ncx jump-points everyone seems to like. Then I yank that html ToC out of the ePub and tweak the OPF file. Jon (and anyone else who doesn't like ePubs with internal AND external ToC's can do their "happy, happy... joy, joy" dance.

Problem solved... without inventing bugs that don't exist.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-15-2011 at 11:01 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote