View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm with issybird on the ending. I thought it fell utterly flat. However, up until that point I enjoyed it.

What I found quite interesting was that it was very familiar to me. I've neither read the book nor seen the film before, but so much of this I felt like I had read (or seen) before. It might be a testament to how influential the book was on other works - or that it was remarkably accurate and therefore naturally echoes throughout other similar pieces.

It might be a bit contentious, but one of the things that I liked about the book wasn't necessarily the "anti-war" sentiment, but the demonstration that in this war, a lot of the bullshit was actually stripped away. That civilisation, feelings of superiority, justifications are the luxuries of those who don't experience the reality of the life-and-death struggles of the front line. There is not only a feeling of comradeship with the enemy, but a recognition of the more primal aspects - that man is just another animal.

Sometimes, in my own contemplations, I wonder which aspect is better. Once you've dealt with the animal too long, it's probably difficult to exist in civilisation and the author brings this up a great many times, but from a very specific point of view (that of a certain age). But it is as a civilisation that we can justify war. In the book it is only too obvious that as the individual devolves towards the animal, the killing is accepted, but not really understood.

I did find the book a little on the heavy-handed side. It certainly gave the message power. But sometimes I felt that it became a little repetitive - especially the author's contemplations. They seemed to be like a chorus for this ballad and although that's not necessarily a bad thing, it still felt a little overplayed to me.

Anyway, I'm glad that I finally had a chance to read this book. In high school, several classes studied this book, but I was not in one of them. I can't remember what we studied instead - but in that year level I remember the books to have been particularly good - To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies - so I didn't exactly miss out. I actually managed to get a copy of the book just last week from a friend who had two copies, along with several Steinbacks and a Hemmingway - Score!!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote