View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
TamsPalm has posted the sad news that Sharp is ending production of it's line of Linux Zaurus PDAs in February.
I can't say that this surprises me. But I agree that it is sad.

Quote:
The Zaurus is one of those devices that everyone says they love, but nobody actually seems to buy or own.
I have an SL-C760 - the clamshell Zaurus. It's really nice - as a pocket-sized laptop. But for the same price, I can buy a full-size laptop with all the performance that the Zaurus doesn't have.

In the case of the Zaurus, it tried to fit the market of the people who were using a PDA, but wanted something more like a pocket-sized laptop. Unfortunately, it picked up the laptop's drawbacks - poor battery life. When you add that the PDA applications were bad - really, really bad - it means that they missed their market.

Quote:
So you can see why I think the Zaurus line didn't catch on, just like most other clamshells.
I have to disagree. If you don't like the clamshell, the Zaurus also came in the 5000, 5500 and 6000 models which were non-clamshell. But they didn't sell well either.

No, the Zaurus failed because:
1. It was an awful PDA
2. It was a poorly powered laptop
3. It was priced the same as a full-size laptop

In a nutshell: it was a solution that didn't have a market.

That being said, my Conics order will be here next week with the new 12 hour battery for my C760, spare power adaptor and stylus.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote