View Single Post
Old 01-01-2007, 04:24 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys
When you buy a car or a watch or a box or a CD or a book or a DVD you OWN the PPR rights to that object including anything it containts. ANY EULA's contrary to this are NULL AND VOID on inception. they can not take your property rights from you.
I'm in the UK, Chris, so please bear in mind that what I say below relates to British law. I am am both a book author and a software author so this is a subject that I have some small knowledge of, at least insofar as the law applies within the UK.

In the UK, such things are covered by a law called the 1996 "Copyright, Designs, and Patents" act.

Quote:
Don't mince words with me. You specify two SEPERATE actions and try to make them sound like one. I damned well CAN photocopy ANY BOOK I OWN any time I want as many times as I want any way I want.
Under British law, Chris, what is called "Mechanical Reproduction" of copyrighted material is illegal. You are allowed to quote from a copyrighted work for reference or review purposes, but that's as far as it goes. You are allow to copy no more than 1 chapter of a book, or 1 article from a magazine.

Quote:
The Problem is our copyright laws are so flawed that the non copyrighted books ie public domain is now effectively STATIC. NOTHING NEW will ever enter the public domain again unless someone VOLUNTARILY puts it there with very fee exceptions.
That is not true in the UK or, indeed, throughout the rest of the EU. Books enter the public domain here 70 years after the death of the author - ie any works by authors who died in or before 1936 are now in the public domain. The British government has recently rejected industry requests to extend the period of copyright protection on the grounds that such an extension would be anti-competitive.

Best wishes,
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote