View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #354
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Why is the VPN capability stymied? Is it processor related? Can it be fixed in future updates?
No OpenVPN capabilities now. Definitely not processor related, even on full Windows OpenVPN doesn't work out of the box, only with the help of additional installation programs and drivers. My guess is that this could be provided by a third-party app, but I am not sure. The main reason it matters to me is that in China nothing works but OpenVPN. They have found ways to block SSTP, L2TP and PPTP. These 3 protocolls are built-in and work great straight out of the box, so for most "normal" people Windows RT's VPN capabilities are just fine. (actually even Android's FeatVPN OpenVPN app doesn't work in China). At home I use a DNS service just for movie streaming and could also set VPN on my router or on a PC and share the connection.

But I have no choice but to lug a full laptop when I travel to China (several times a year). Perhaps there will also be options on the rooted RT with the hack for installing regular desktop apps? Such a VPN app shouldn't be very resource demanding.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote