View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Gwen2479
Gwen2479 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Need help choosing and e-reader

Hello . I am new to this forum, but have been reading and enjoying many of the posts in my search for an e-reader. I have also read many online reviews. I think that I have narrowed down my choices, as I have found the posts here very helpful.
I will start with what I am looking for:
1) Portable and light - 5 or 6 inches will be fine. I also don' mind if the device looks sleek and cool too! A girl has to look fashionable when she can.
2) Easy to use on Windows PC, just want to hook up, load books, and read.
3) E-book format flexibility. I do not want to be limited to only 1 bookstore
4) Quick screen refresh and boot up times
5) Touchscreen, either stylus or finger, but not a deal breaker.
6) Expandable memory, and I do like the option of removable/replaceable battery
7) Wi-fi nice, but not necessary
8) Good, crisp paperlike image - Does the level of grayscale matter? 4, 8, 16?
I will be using this reader to primarily read books (maybe magazines, if it has that function). No glare.
9) Updatable device with good customer support for problems and good warranty.

OK, now that I have my wish list out of the way, here are the devices I am considering. These are in no particular order.
5inch:
1) Bookeen Opus Color, heard that this latest version has fewer headaches than previous model.
2) Pocketbook 360, according to posts it is pretty versatile and quick. I saw the video reviews, Is the audible button push with page turns really louder than some other devices?
3) Sony PRS 300

6inch:
1) Samsung E60, though haven't seen any new reviews since CES.
2) Pocketbook 302
3) Onyx or Neo
4) Bookeen Orizon - should I wait to get e-reader until I see what it can do?
5) Alex - though not sure about the 2 screens yet
6) Sony PRS 600 - my BFF has it and she loves it, but I noticed some glare and not so sure about that for me.

Well, that is where I am at with my choices after research. I didn't mention Kindle since it only really has 1 format for books, but I am curious about the new one coming later this year. There are so many selections right now and it can get really confusing and I really want to make sure that I am happy with my choice since I love to read. I also don't know if I should take the plunge and get one now or see what is coming this summer or fall. Your advise and experiences will be very helpful. Thank you.
Gwen2479 is offline   Reply With Quote