View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by esecallum View Post
Thanks for your input.I still disagree.The text to jpeg is cumbersome.I don't want to spend 3 minutes (really 30 minutes since you have to switch on computer..do conversion.get the reader..get the usb wires...connect to the computer usb..copy/loadfiles....unplug usb...put away wires..files delete surplus files..switch computer off).
So are really misleading with the 3 minutes.it is more like 30 minutes.
I use computer at home every single day, so for me there is no waiting for it to start. It is usually already started when I decide to prepare another batch of books for reading. I use an e-ink reader, but I still convert the vast majority of my reading material for it. And I am usually extremely annoyed with books I can not convert to my liking.

I also very rarely convert a single book at the time. Usually I convert a batch and load up my reader for months of reading, so time needed for starting applications (and recording macros and writing and debugging elaborate scripts) dissolves among dozens of books I convert at the same time.

Let's get back to digital frames.
I have recently purchased a digital photo frame in a "damaged goods" corner in a thrift store. I paid hefty sum - 11 Euro.
I was hoping I might be able to use it as an "emergency" reader, or perhaps for reading colour picture books with my kids or as a backlit reader for those rare occasions when I need to read in dark. Like when I am traveling in a car at night as a passenger.
That thing is Completely, Totally, Utterly, Absolutely Unusable as reader. Period.

It is the cheapest and the most featureless model, mind you, so Your Mileage Might Vary if you purchase something that has more sophisticated firmware and display that has reasonable resolution and does not blink.

The major "feature" that would prevent even the most determined reader from using it as an e-book reading devices are those random effects then pictures are being changed/advanced. Imagine reading from a powerpoint presentation where author used a fiendish mix of all possible animated effects for changing slides. Each page change animation takes about 5 seconds and the frame can not be configured not to use those effects.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote