View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #45
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetcop View Post
Thanks geekmaster, happy to hear that there is still hope even in the heretofore unimagined new land of fuckedness my Kindle has arrived at. I knew it was dangerous to mess around with fastboot, but I am 1) impatient, 2) curious to learn things, and 3) able to afford a new Kindle. I'm just enjoying the journey - hopefully with the bonus at the end of my Touch coming alive.

I realized that since MfgTool still works for me, there are a *few* more moves I can try, namely the Main profile and Fastboot profile as well as Diags profile. By some unreconstructable series of steps, I even got the tree screen up at one point, though no usb drive, but then the next thing I tried put it back to black. (I also saw the tree screen with the amazon logo at one point, though I have no idea how I did that) So I probably will keep messing with it, but not anything too extreme, while I eagerly await any progress you may make.
If you want to explore, I suggest making custom u-boot images from the gpl source code. They contain mmc_read and mmc_write functions that hide all the complexity of reading and writing mmc (ECC error correction, bad block detection and remapping, write wear levelling, and all that stuff you must do when talking directly to the mmc chip). Just use the mmc_read and write functions inside u-boot that make it easy. Then you can read and write anywhere you want, and u-boot can communicate with a host PC using either USB Downloader (HID / Recovery) protocol, or using fastboot protocol over USB. I want to do that someday myself. You can load and boot an entire operating system direct to RAM from USB without even touching the MMC, if you want. That would be a nice way to test code with no danger of bricking the device. You did say you want to *learn*, right?

I plan to start by slightly modifying existing methods, like adding features to fastboot code in both u-boot and in the fastboot tool. Or I could add features to USB downloader mode. I want a remote console (like the serial port console) that runs over USB. If I do not care about installing future updates of amazon software on my kindle, I could repartition the MMC to have an extra partition just for a 3rd boot partition. It could even boot to QEMU and then boot an x86 operating system like DOS, and run DOS games. Not that I plan to, but it would be a fun experiment... Anyway, first I want a solid recovery tool, then I want to add rooting and jailbreaking to it, then package management and installation, then complete control such as booting different operating systems. We could even boot directly to a loop mounted image in a file on the USB Drive. Many things are possible (but not necessarily practical). You are only limited by your imagination and the amount of time you are willing to invest, but it would be a great learning experience.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-24-2012 at 12:45 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote