View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Harry, what would happen if you didn't add the "start reading" tag? At first blush, it seems like you could get to the text just by clicking on Chapter 1 of the TOC?

I know that you say it's useful in the Mobipocket Reader, but if you're viewing the file in, say, a Kindle, is that tag necessary?

Jim
The "Guide" items add entries to a navigation menu on MobiPocket Reader, and the CyBook Gen3, and enable navigation icons on the iLiad. The "Table of Contents" and "Start Reading" items are standard ones, but if you don't have them all that happens is that those items don't appear on the navigation menu on the Gen3, and the corresponding buttons remain disabled on the iLiad.

I don't know what use the Kindle makes of them or otherwise. You are absolutely right - "Start Reading" does seem a little pointless, but it does appear to be a "standard" item, and it's no real work to add it.

"Table of Contents" is genuinely useful - I would certainly always add that one.

In case I didn't make it clear in the tutorial, you can add any extra items you want in "Guide Items" - they are just links to specific places in the book defined by anchor tags, so if you had a book which had some special places you wanted to be able to quickly jump to, you could add additional guide items to enable the user to jump directly to those places.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote