View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
eBook pricing: changes on paperback release

eBook pricing is still a complete mess. Publishers just don't seem to be able to cope with it.

The particular book that's caused me to post today is one of a series "Running from the Deity" by Alan Dean Foster.

The hardback and the eBook both came out in 2005. I don't know what the hardback retailed for, but presumably around the $24 mark. The eBook was priced at $17.99.

OK, pretty high, but I can understand it - they want money from people who wanted the book immediately on publication, either in hardback or eBook form. Even Baen do something similar with their eARCs. And who knows - I might even have bought it at that price, if I was following the series really closely.

But the paperback was released in 2006. $7.99. eBook pricing remains unchanged at $17.99. This is just silly.

This year, the Kindle version is released. $7.99.

So why is the general eBook price still unchanged at $17.99? It just doesn't make sense.

This is Random House, but I expect other publishers are equally inept.

Yes, I have sent feedback to Random House directly about this pricing anomaly.

Grrrrrr.... and I'm sure it's losing them other sales, not just the sales to me.

Paul
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote