View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 10:29 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
So you think you are on the morally clear side if buy the pbook and get the ebook from another source. And even if it's morally right, what does the law say about it?
I think it falls under "fair use" -- if you're not selling it, or otherwise distributing it, you can make copies. The thing about DRM is that it tends to artificially limit that "fair use."

I'm not saying that there is a law that says "if you buy the book and convert it to an e-text, exclusively for your own use you're legally in the clear," but I'm pretty sure that it would get tossed out of court if they tried to prosecute something like that.

Judge: So they defendant purchased the text for the going market rate?
Prosecuter: Yes, Your Honor.
Judge: And he made an electronic copy?
Judge: Did he sell this electronic copy?
Prosecuter: No, Your Honor.
Judge: Did he give this electronic copy to anyone else?
Prosecuter: No, Your Honor.
Judge: What did he do with this electronic copy then?
Prosecuter: He read it, Your Honor.
Judge: He read it?
Judge: That's all?
Prosecuter: That's all, Your Honor.
Judge: So ... he bought a book, paid full price for it, and read it.

Just imagine what Judge Judy would would say to that?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote