View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #73
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIPPPOX View Post
Kobo- better build quality, better tehn specs (1Gb vs 256 Mb RAM), better form factor and light for night reading , faster pdf rendering, card slot, more fonts.

Kindle-new gen e-ink display and better contrast for naked eye on the videos, many useful options especially for pdfs, more text on the display with the smallest font (smaller margins, spacing and borders)
I only have Kobo Aura HD, so maybe I'm wrong about Kobo Aura.
But, at least for Kobo Aura HD, I certainly wouldn't speak of better build quality.

If I compare Kobo Aura HD and Paperwhite 2:
a.) Many favor the feature, being able to turn off the light on Kobo. For me, it's exactly the opposite: When turning on Kobo again, I always have to turn on the light again. May not seem a biggy. But I explicitly and solely bought it because of the light. I want to have it on all the time. And I'm mainly reading at night on it. Then I really have to fumble around, to find the switch.
b.) In addition to a.) boot time on Kobo is way longer. In the dark, I'm sometimes not even sure whether it's booting already or still off. Paperwhite is almost instantly on, maybe in 8 seconds or so.
c.) I haven't seen Kobo Aura. But Kobo Aura HD, to me, is way less elegant and stylish than Paperwhite. Kobo Aura HD to me has the appeal of a digital watch from Eastern Germany circa 1985. It's robust, but somehow lacks elegance.
d.) I didn't experiment with my Kobo, so maybe I missed something. But so far, I haven't been able to add dictionaries. Paperwhite automatically finds the dictionaries I bought years ago. I haven't seen such a feature on Kobo, but maybe I missed it (and didn't really look for it, on Paperwhite it simply came up on its own).
f.) Re. display quality I see no difference. Quite frankly, I didn't bother to compare. Both, to me, are simply flawless.
g.) Just a matter of taste. But I find, the "rubberized" back of Paperwhite a bit more pleasant to hold than the smooth back of Kobo Aura HD.
h.) I find 2GB on Paperwhite a bit tight. I can't download all my books, although the circa 850 that fit into the storage normally should be enough. But I'm no fan of the SD slot on Kobo either. I didn't find any way to manage the storage. It appears, the internal storage simply gets filled and after that all goes to the SD card. I'd wish for some way to manually intervene. For example, huge files such as comics on the SD card, but text books internally.

Meaning:
To me, Kobo Aura HD, clearly ranks behind Paperwhite 2.
I don't regret, having bought it, given my >300 Kobo books.
But when I'm free to choose, I take my Paperwhite 2.

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-08-2013 at 07:31 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote