Thread: A Nasty habit
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I think that this begs an interesting question that might be good to open up for debate. Waht is the best way to ensure that readers understand things like what I ranted about? Some like diapdealer don't like big info dumps but some like myself would like an author to clue me into what they are talking about, for example an author once said that one of his chracters could debate Harvey. I would have preferred a short explination of who harvey was.
It depends... if it is a question of existing technology (like wheellock and matchlock) if you really must, make it part of the story. I can imagine a scene where a character armed with a matchlock is struggling to get the slow match lit before the bad guys arrive. If it is historical characters? Maybe provide a list of historical figures at the front of the novel, or drop little hints through out the story. Maps are always a good thing for helping people understand where they are.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote