View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 02:59 AM   #17
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I was a voracious reader long before I started to read on electronic gadgets. I would never be able to satisfy my reading appetite by buying books. Not that I did not buy any, but purchased ones were always only small fraction of what I read. So I used the Library. In certain periods of my life I was actively using 5 or even 7 different libraries at a time.
When get your reading material at the library you very quickly learn to be an opportunist. You do not go to the library with the resolution "today I am going to borrow the newest Stephen King novel and nothing else". You go to the library and see what is available. You bring home 7 books that "looked good" at the first glance and it might happen that you return two of those unread and another one unfinished.

You go to the library and the first place where you look is the pile of the most recently returned books waiting to be returned to the shelves, then you look at the shelves where library keeps the newest stuff. You rifle through at least 50 books to select those 7 you are going to bring home. And you make a reservation for that Stephen King book, but you quickly learn not to hold your breath.

The situation with e-books is very, very similar.
There are lots and lots of really good stuff that I can get for free (I am talking about legal ones) there are lots of stuff you can very cheap. There are so many decent books that you can read that on "deals and freebies" subforum here.
So it is not like I won't have anything to read unless I purchase the newest NYT bestseller, or the newest Oprah recommended one.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote