Thread: TCL NxtPaper 11
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 09:56 AM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Remember that the total chain is tablet <> cable <> charger.
Standards are so wonderful.
At a minimum need a regular dumb cable that has all the wires.
I was just surprised that this case didn't need a USB 3.0 USB-A or USB-C to USB-C, yet has more than 1A, 1.5A or 2A (the 3 common high powers for 5V only USB-A using D- and D+ "passive signalling" (fixed resistors or fixed voltages at the USB-A charger socket). A so-called "charging" only cable has no D- and D+ and thus the gadget might only take 150 mA (or sometimes up to 500mA = 0.5A).

Origin of USB-C

From https://xkcd.com/927 CC

I'd not been paying attention for some while on charging and didn't realise some USB-A charger sockets can do more than 5V or more than 2A. It's well known that USB-C charge sockets can do 5V to 20V and up to 5A.

AFIAK there are no "intelligent" cables. These are all just wires:
  1. Simple charge only, only 2 wires. No sensing or signalling. Safe outdoors where a public charger might have malware.
  2. Simple USB-A with four wires: 2 for power and D- & D+ for data, but non-proprietary proprietary USB-A chargers put resistors or voltages on D- and D+. Apple was different to others, thus the "wrong" 1.5A or 2A charger would only do 0.15A or 0.5A.
  3. Simple USB-A with four wires: 2 for power and D- & D+ for data. Same cable as (2) but a proprietary D- & D+ protocol for more than 7.5" or 10W from proprietary chargers, some do mopre than 5V, but all default to 5V and allow 2A. Incompatible devices may take 0.15A or 0.5A at 5V. I've tested this in the lab. My supermarket 2A 5V chargers do 2A to a dummy load, but no phone/tablet/ereader I have takes more than 0.5A. Maybe they suit Apple for 1.5A or 2A, but I don't have any suitable Apple gear.
  4. USB 3.0 has five extra connections on USB-A and extra top on USB-B or extra connections at side on micro USB.
  5. USB-C to USB-C is a kitchen sink. It has an extra serial port for power signalling, optionally HMDI like video separately and optionally analogue audio I/O duplicating 3.5mm 4 pole jack. Does USB 3.0 if both devices support it. Not all things with USB-C have USB 3.0, nor video, nor OTG, nor charging + OTG, nor analogue audio and adverts/specs rarely say.

A Nintendo switch seems to need a real USB-C charger or its dock, not a USB-C to USB-A cable (even if USB 3.0).

Last edited by Quoth; 03-06-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote