View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I want to start this off by hightly recommending Donald Harington, an Arkansan who has been compared to William Faulkner, but with his own special brand of humor.

Harington has written a series of books in the fictional town called Stay More. They very Southern Gothic and full of memorable characters.

I met him about 25 years ago, and named the Mayor of Stay More, because of my gushing admiration for him.

If you want to read a tender story of love between two cockroaches (an allegory, actually), try "The Cockroaches of Stay More." You'll be swept up in a tender story of blooming love and romance. In this wonderful novel, one meets Doc Swain and other characters from Harington's fertile imagination. One senses the true love he has for his characters.

For a different kind of story, one might try "Lightening Bug," a very Faulknerian novel that, thematically, reminds me of his "As I Lay Dying."

I'm only missing one or two of his novels, and have about 9 of them inscribed to me.

Harington's writing is beautiful and soaring, and full of wisdom and storytelling. It personally fills me with a deep sadness that he is no longer alive to write of that wonderful and mythical Southern town in Arkansas.

NOTE: These were available as ebooks (from Amazon; I didn't check other sources), but then were pulled due to horrendous formatting. It looks as if the bulk of his novels are going to be re-released August 4.

Don
Sounds good.

Glad to see you around, I haven't seen one of your posts in a while....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote