View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I just got one today as a Christmas gift. I like it a lot, although page turning is awkward 1 handed. The size is excellent for a hand-held device, with a large, clear screen, and a good sized virtual keyboard. I've had no problems with the Kindle App, and I loaded Mantano and tried it briefly.
After a bit more experience, I've added Cool Reader, so I can read fb2 and some other less popular formats. I have a lot of older books in diverse formats.

There is handwriting recognition, but you have to look in some fairly obscure places to activate it. It's DioPen, and seems to be as good as MS's Letter Recognizer, which it slightly resembles. I'd really like a version of Transcriber/Calligrapher for the Android, but apparently no one make that. Phatware makes something called WritePad instead.

The music player is very nice, as are the included earbuds, which have a mike if you want to use Skype. Both cameras work well. I haven't tried any videos of any size, so I can't tell you if I'll be watching "Cleopatra: The Director's Cut" (5 hr.) on it.

No games. Maybe never. I burned out on UT-Austin "Super Star Trek" on a CDC Cyber 70 installation in 1975 and pretty much never looked back. The set of games on the Android Market that pique my interest has approximately zero members; it may even be the empty set.

Battery life thus far is excellent. I keep the LCD on a very dim setting. For direct sunlight, I'd use the Kindle 3/K. For indoors, the G5 is fine.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote