View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Ya know, not discounting anyone who reads ebooks, but I'm wondering if the reasons behind these numbers is less about people owning ereaders, and more about the fact that those who do are already prolific readers. Think about it. If you're someone who reads a lot, what are you going to do? Have your own public library full of print books in your house and constantly have to shovel all the read ones off to the library or book sales or other locations, or even store them? Or will you instead have a single device capable of holding a library full of books in your hand? I'd likely say the latter in all honesty. So there comes an interesting dilemma. If the early adopters are all prolific readers, what will happen to reading rates once everyone else starts to adopt ebooks and ebook readers?

Again, I'm in no way knocking ebooks or readers, but simply asking a question. Statistics always intrigue me, mostly because they're so often used by one party or another in order to back up their own claims, or refute the claims of others. But rarely is any background information given to go with those stats. I for one enjoy hunting down and theorizing about that hidden, or often times suppressed information. I for one would love to see Ebooks become the only source of printed material out there, which would in turn take a massive chunk out of the paper demand in this country, and even the world, as newspapers, publishers, and other organizations wouldn't need it anymore (or in very small quantities), which is good for the planet. Plus I wouldn't have to print anymore books for sale at events. I could just show up with a PC and sell ebooks right from my computer at the event (that's actually an idea I'm looking into).

But anyways, getting back to the original topic, I'd love to see what the true breakdown of readers is when it comes to ebooks. IE, were they a prolific reader before, and if so, was that the primary reason why they switched to ebooks? I think once we know that, we'll have a better idea how the market will evolve in the coming years, among other things. Also, if it turns out that only a small portion of ebook adopters were prolific readers, and the majority simply adopted it for the ease and convenience, or other reasons that normal print books can't fulfill, then that would make an even stronger case in favor of ebooks. However, if it was proven to be the first one, that only prolific readers were picking them up, then other strategies could be employed by the ebook community to change that.

Again, knowing the truth behind statistics can be very beneficial. The numbers themselves make great talking points, but the information itself is worth far more because, while talking points are nice, action plans are even better, and having the information behind the ebooks can provide that.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote