View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 05:25 AM   #9
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I wonder if those of us not normally considered youth would appreciate this book? I'm tempted...
"Young Adult" novels are a guilty pleasure of mine. The greatest thing happened when the K2 came out: I got to give my K1 to my 12 year old nephew, and now I have an excuse to purchase said YA books and someone to discuss them with. Leviathan has just made my to-read list.

That said, I do know several people who cannot stand YA novels. It has little to do with the writing style or plots, however. It's the self-importance of adolescent protagonists that seems to bother them. They invariably end up shouting, "You're thirteen years old! What you do doesn't matter!" at the books and putting them down.

Anyway, back on topic, I purchased a Topaz book (Lee Smolin's The Trouble with Physics) and so far it's quite nicely formatted. I was nervous at first but it hasn't been bad at all. The only problem is with footnotes (of course).
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote