View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
GUI desktop emulates papers and books on physical desktop

The BumpTop desktop interface prototype is one of those technologies that makes you go "Wow!" If you follow that link, you'll find a video available as Quicktime or WMP or YouTube formats, or you can just click play from this Lifehacker article. It's only a few minutes, and it's worth your while to take a look.

I'm not convinced it's ready to be used for several reasons, however. First of all, it's in prototype stage, so we shouldn't expect it's ready for prime time. But also, I think they are headed in the wrong direction. Instead of making it a supplemental interface for virtual desktops that work in conjunction with the regular Windows desktop and file system, they are trying to build a "full blown desktop replacement that can be installed on any machine."

Some of the most obvious features also seem to be missing, at least from the presentation. For example, you don't seem to be able to have the document title with the document icon. Maybe that's just a demo thing to keep it looking clean. I don't know. But I do know that I wouldn't like being forced into a choice between this and a regular desktop paradigm, and I really need the text names to go with the documents.

But it's an amazing technology that sounds very promising if applied correctly. And with enough trial users, I'm sure they can work out the kinks, and figure out the right context for it. I say bring it on. I'd love to organize my e-book library using this!

Via Lifehacker.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote