View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I don't believe that to be true at all. I think you just haven't looked or searched for them. They're not as visible as you drive around shopping malls and the like, no, but I know they exist. In small towns I highly doubt you're going to find a big name 10,000 square foot B&N store. You're more likely to find several independents instead of the big name chains.
The reality is that in most small US towns, if it's not large enough to support B&N or one of the few other chains remaining (say, Books a Million or BAM!, as I think they brand themselves now) you are unlikely to find an independent.

Maybe an indy used book store. In smalltown America, you're more likely to find books at the local Wal-Mart, supermarket, or drugstore. There are still many small independents (and large independents) out there selling new books, but many fewer than in the past. Most of them flourish in or around college towns or in smaller, upscale communities where "boutique" retailers also flourish.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote