View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #185
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
I am very possibly representative of a minority viewpoint on this forum, but I am puzzled by other folks' desire to store thousands of ebooks on their ereaders. I am building my collection and add all my purchases to Calibre, which I backup regularly. But I only keep my to be read books on my ereader, and as I currently have 40 titles on that shelf, I reckon that will keep me in reading material for at least a month.

I am wondering if I am a slow reader, or if other folks have a higher 'must store' threshold than mine?

[image by Abhi Sharma / flickr]
I guess I'm a typical "ambassador" of the other faction:
I'm totally annoyed, that I can't keep my circa 900 Amazon eBooks on my Kindle Paperwhite.
(I've got maybe 50 comics [Dilbert & Garfield], each around 50 to 100 MB and the same for roundabout 50 travel guides and the Kindle Paperwhite only holds 2GB).
Why?
a.) I don't want to put the read books into the cloud archive.
b.) I've bought the 3G model, so I can download books wherever I am. Still: I don't want to rely on that. When traveling, I want to be able to access my books - even in the remotest of locations. Without bothering about WiFi or 3G and such.
c.) Usually I don't have a plan, what to read next. I wouldn't be able, to choose let's say 50 books I intend to read next. Often a promising book is boring and I want to switch. But what to read? Then I enjoy to scroll through my entire library. Now, on my Paperwhite, my library is about 60 pages. That's not that long. In cover mode, I can scroll through that library and choose 1 or 2 books to read within less than 10 minutes.
d.) A few years ago, I put lots of effort in my library. I've downloaded all my purchases separately on the PC: Then I stripped them from DRM and converted them to half a dozen target formats for my various readers. I don't want to spend that amount of time anymore. I purchase on my momentary favorite, download and read. It may seem a bit risky, to have no backup at all. But as long as I buy from Amazon and the likes, I don't expect them to cease business quickly. I've had that with some smaller merchants and made my backups in their ramp-down phase.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote