Thread: MobileRead February 2012 - Run-Off Vote
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #34
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
So you're saying we shouldn't simply go by what the majority of people want to read? We had nominations and voting fair and square.

I also really didn't like that Black Rain won last month but what could I do? The group spoketh.

I will slightly disagree with you about main course vs side dish. I think it should be up to us to decide what's appropriate. Anyone is allowed to object to a book and if enough feel it's not appropriate to the category the nominator can remove it. I wasn't too thrilled when a sci-fi book won the comedy month in 2011 (and I don't think anyone complained then), but them's the breaks sometimes.

Actually, I will defer to your own opinion on the matter from some time ago. You were discussing the six-month rule, but it seems equally appropriate in this discussion:
No Sun Surfer I didn't say we shouldn't go by majority rule. I said we should try to find more modern work for non classic months. My statement might trigger other members to consider more modern works going forward...who knows. I still stand by what I said then and now. There is no contradiction other than where you choose to see one. In fact, if you read my response to Issybird, you will see that I rescinded my objection based on her description. I have not asked anyone to invalidate either the nominations nor the votes..What I said was that I am disappointed. I then stated how I feel and why.

There is nothing you can say that will make me feel any differently.

My only hope is that Tender is the Night is a good read.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote