View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
Polydwarf
Enthusiast
Polydwarf began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7, Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The resolution is probably not very good. Also you would be stuck with one size of font, no bookmarks, no way for the viewer to remember the last page you were on, etc. I actually tried some similar experiments way back when with a Sony portable DVD player, that is why I know it didn't work out very well. Plus it would take a long time to prepare each book.
800x600 seems to be a pretty easy-to-get (and cheap) resolution for the 8" frames (judging by newegg, at least)

I did a couple of minutes of playing with the one linked above by alyknight, and it let me specify height/width of the output images, font face/size/color, background color/image, and even jpeg quality if converting to jpegs.

Setting it to 800x600 image size, and a jpeg quality of 40% (it looks ok at that level on the computer screen; I don't have a photo frame to try it with) and converting a novel, I got 186 jpeg files, with the file size ranging from ~100-130kB each, for a total directory size of 21.8 megabytes.

It took my machine (Intel E8400 cpu) about 40 seconds to do the conversion. This converter, at least, is not multi-threaded, so multi-core isn't really a benefit.

If I switched it to PNG, the time to convert was approximately the same, though the file sizes shrunk and were in the 80-110 KB range.

If I added PNG Compression, they are absolutely right, it is a ton slower; I aborted the process two or three minutes in, and it wasn't halfway yet. File sizes were in the 40-70 KB range.

Your points about bookmarks/page you were on/etc are absolutely valid. It also might look a little weird at a coffee place or an airport to pull out a digital photo frame. Here in the US, I think that's grounds for a *very* thorough full body search by a guy named Bubba, and after that you'd get a complementary tazing.
Polydwarf is offline   Reply With Quote