View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I agree I think, if everything goes off without a hitch, Asus does seem to be the first high end Android tablet to , "Get it right" out of the Gate. First by not getting into bed with the carriers and having to charge a contract and by releasing a wifi only first. Hmm that's a novel concept, listening to what the consumer wants. :
and pricing on a level it knows it has to inorder to compete sucessfully. This is a HUGE play on the people who just can't justify spending even $500 on a tablet instead of a laptop regardless if it's an iPad or whatever. a $400 price tag now gets one to think "Ok $400 , I'm listening."

Also what I think Asus is REALLY getting right, is packaging the tablet and a full functioning laptop dock as a single device. and again the $550 is price tag that doesn't scare off people. I know the keyboard accessory is nothing new. You can get one for the iPad, the xoom and the Samsung. But these are looked upon as accessory and as an add on. But bundling them together as a single device, changes our perception. Plus having it be a charging dock with USB ports, and track pad. This smart, really smart. and IMHO I think this will be how tablets are going to be sold down the road. the combo . I can totally foresee 2 years from now these Laptop docks holding alot of internal memory and RAM. 5 years from now I can see the tablet laptop combo being the the norm and replacing traditionally Laptops. The laptops docs being as suuped up on specs similiar to current laptops. (Intel processors, RAM, Internal memory, disk drives etc.)
I do think what we are seeing with Asus is a glimpse of the future of this market.

I did see the Toshiba one, also pretty sweet.
Another one to keep an eye on, if it does come to market is the Vizo one. Nice specs, has a Vizo tv ecosytem thing going on, acts as mutlidevice universal remote and coming in at 8 inches or 8.9 inches. And if Vizo holds true to their marketing strategy, expect this one to come in at a very competitive price.

This really is an exciting time for people who held off to see how this market shape up.
I agree completely. Asus is bringing something new and innovative with the design of the keyboard dock. This is probably where tablets should go in the future--convergence. Also, the ips screen on the Asus looks fantastic in some of the videos that I have seen. One advantage that the ipad has is the vibrant colors. The Xoom screen seemed a little dull in comparison. I think even the 7" Samsung Galaxt Tab had better colors. Asus is not allowing apple to one up them in any of the important areas such as screen quality. If I know nothing about tablets, or even televisions for that matter, a better screen goes a long way towards influencing my decision.

Asus was the first to innovate with the netbook, and I trust that they are using the right strategy in their entry into the tablet market.

I wouldn't count the Toshiba out either...
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote