View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
electragician
electragician is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo WiFi, PC, CR-48 ChromeOS laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
I just don't understand the gripe if you're going to consciously use tools that are specifically designed to control what you can and can't do. Bottom line is, if you're using Windows, OSX, Adobe's wares (ADE and the rest of the DRM gang), and others, you're really not in control of anything. By using these tools, you're at the mercy of what these vendors *allow* you to do. If you can't do something, why complain? If you want real empowerment, you first have to first free yourself of the digital handcuffs that you've bound yourself with. Get rid of your Windows OS, your Apple OSX, your Adobe ADE for starters. Stop buying DRM-enabled products. Install a free software operating system like GNU/Linux or a bsd (GNU/Linux is best due to the copyleft nature of the GPL). Install only free software applications (Calibre is great) and spend your money on DRM-free books formatted as epub.

I've read enough of your posts on here to know you're a "free software" zealot and just looking for soapbox to spread your religion. Cool and all, but you can shove it in this particular instance. It really does get irritating after a while, and this is coming from someone that has been using Linux dual-boot for the past decade.

If you can't understand how a person has the right to gripe about paying for a product / service and not have that service work properly, you're a fool, and I mean that in the very nicest way.

I get it... DRM is bad. I agree, wholeheartedly. That said, if a product is marketed to work properly with DRM'd ebooks, it should work with them. I have non-drm'd epubs that also exhibit the same issue. Should I, as the customer, *have* to edit a file just to get a book to display properly?

In short, please pick a valid reason to get on your soapbox. My purchase of a DRM'd ebook, as part of a test to see if something worked properly, doesn't negate the fact that the Kobo reader should have adjustable margins.

Do you own a car? If you do, and if it's made in the past 20 years, I can guarantee you that the ECU in it is running proprietary code. If the throttle stuck on your car tomorrow, due to a software error, and caused you to get in an accident, would I be justified in saying "You really don't have any reason to complain?"
electragician is offline   Reply With Quote