View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I dunno...
I've found comparing works in two different mediums can be tricky...
I quite agree, and I'll offer another good example of the dichotomy between the two arts:

2001: A Space Odyssey was based on an Arthur C. Clarke short story. When Stanley Kubrick decided to make it a movie, he and Clarke collaborated on the expanded story. The result, I feel, are two different versions of the same story, a full novel by Clarke, and a film by Kubrick. Both are strong in their medium, but the differences between them are largely the differences between print and film media, and not really subject to a straight comparison.

Then there's Jurassic Park, by Michael Crichton: As well-executed as the original book was, better overall than the film, at the same time there is nothing in the book that presents the awe and beauty of many of the scenes in the film. I loved the book, but I cried when I saw the first long shot of dinos grazing by the lake. There really is no direct comparison, IMO.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote