View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxojackie View Post
I'm finally upgrading my 1st generation BN Nook--which at this point was getting maybe 2 hrs of battery life--and I'm moving to the new Kindle Paperwhite. I'm trying to prepare my tremendous Calibre library for the change.

All my Nook Books have long ago been deDRMed, so that's not an issue. What I'm wondering about is Kindle Formats: AZW, AZW3, MOBI... Is there a real difference? I know I read something about different compression between them, but I'm still not sure. What may be the best thing to convert my ePubs to?

Also, is there anything I need to know about major differences between maintaining a library on a Nook and a Kindle? I know no one knows much about the PW until it's out, but I'm just looking for general Kindle guidance.

Thanks!
KF8 is AZW3 in Calibre. It's pretty much Amazon's rip off of epub.

Mobi is the original Kindle format. It does not have the line bug which is why many still use it. There are somethings like Small caps that mobi can't show.

Out of the two formats, KF8 is the superior format.

If you don't want much formatting differences then go with KF8 (AZW3) Keep in mind that the personal documents service does not support this format yet. So if you email a book to your Kindle it will have to be in mobi format.

On the Kindle you have what is referred to as the Cloud. There are two types. The Amazon books you buy and the Personal Documents Cloud. the PDC is 5GB of space for your personal nonAmazon books and documents. The benefits of using the PDC instead of sideloading books is you can sync, last page, bookmarks, notes and highlights to another Kindle. If you own more then one Kindle this is a must have feature.

AZW can be mobi or KF8. It's the extension Amazon uses for their own books.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-02-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote