View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #16047
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I stopped after 60 pages. This book contained elements that I don't enjoy in science fiction. Unpronounceable words (and I did notice the pronunciation guide and declension of noun appendix), point of view changes, gaps in storyline and invented words (I saw the glossary too). I was confused much of the time and decided the author's style was not for me.
Also, I read the hardcover's end pages beforehand and its summary tells us what's going to happen and when. Took the surprise out of it.
I really liked foreigner. But it has "intense internal viewpoint" and unreliable narrator so it is a book that can be hard to get into. Other Cherryh books are easier reads like the Chanur series or Rimrunner or Downbellow Station.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote