Thread: Remote X11?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
timb.us
Enthusiast
timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timb.us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Over physically secure networking, of which USBnetworking is an example.
(You can see the entire cable and what is connected to it.)

• Start an x-server optioned to use TCP
  • Include in the x-server start-up where to put the X authority file.
  • Extract the xauth data from this and merge with it into ~/.Xauthority on the remote end.
  • Provide TCP communications between the two points
  • Your done.

In the physically secure networking case mentioned above, you can use the X11 protocal directly on the wire.
Neither SSH nor anything like NX is required.
Although the above list includes the modern X authentication through security cookies, the much older xauth can also be used in this case.
I realize I can do it this way, however I was looking into SSH as that would allow me to do it securely over WiFi. Though, I do suppose I can use Xauth over WiFi here at home. It's not like I'm working with anything mission critical at this point.
timb.us is offline   Reply With Quote