View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #14
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Bad news, Jim. I downloaded the samples of the other two books (3 and 4 in the series) and they were azw1 (topaz), too. On the good news side, though, I would have sworn that book 3 wasn't there yesterday.
Book 3 definitely wasn't available at Amazon on Friday when I posted the first message. If I like the first two, I'm glad that the rest of the series is available for the Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I find that I normally read at size 2, sometimes switching to 3 later in the evening. With Topaz formatted books, I find the redraw time at size 2 to be unacceptable, but size 3 isn't terribly bad, just a little slower, so I read most Topaz books at 3.
I normally read at size 2 if there is adequate light. In low-light conditions, I move up to size 3. I played around with the second book (A Fountain Filled with Blood) for a little while. At font size 2, turning the page wasn't terribly slow ... just slower than with the built-in font. At font size 3, it's hardly noticeable that the page turn is slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
4-5 seconds to redraw every page is not acceptable and I also note that it really drains the battery. My library has the books so will use that resource for the other books in the series.
I'll have to pay attention to the battery load.

One would hope that a software update could improve the font management -- perhaps by caching the font in the Kindle's memory -- to make the page turns take place even faster. If Kindle owners will give Amazon and the publishers (and even the author if you can reach him or her) feedback when a book displays poorly, eventually someone should start paying attention.

There are a lot of people who are employed in book design, and a well designed book is a pleasure to read. Some books just won't work well if the medium limits the font choices or forces use of page images instead of a flowable format. Take a look at what Feedbooks has done with their ePub template (http://blog.feedbooks.com/?p=57 ). It's attractive. It's appealing. Publishers who are turning their nose up at eBooks might be more interested if they had more control over the presentation.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote