View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #40
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
I started out with the Kobo Vox that the family bought me for Christmas last year. It was a breakthrough device - an eReader with Android for only $200! But I soon found that it it was greatly underpowered, making it infuriatingly slow and not much good for anything, except perhaps for a veerryyy patient person or one who couldn't afford any better.

Then I moved on to the RIM PlayBook (coincidentally even more Canadian than the KV!) And that was mucchh better, although I did experience some delays in getting a good eReader app from their non-Android app store. But I found this hardware to be first-rate, and a huge bargain now available at deep discount prices.

Finally, thoroughly enthralled with the 7in tablet format (and not being good at sharing with other family members) I bought the Nexus 7 last summer. And it's the best yet. With the quad-core processor it's lightning fast, and with true-Android O/S is promptly updatable. It supports all eReader apps and eBook stores, allowing free choice independent of any particular walled garden - and overcomes any reduction of choices resulting from our poorly-served Canadian market!.

I realize that these are all backlit tablets, which some here may not consider strictly-speaking true eReaders. But for my particular use I find the screen is perfectly adequate for extended periods of reading, and I greatly enjoy the ability to do eMail and run other apps on a multi-functional device.

Anyway, that's been this Canadian's experience, and my evolution eReader-wise for the past year, for what it's worth.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote