View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #383
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
So how big is this theoretical fine?

Because if it is small enough, it would be a simple matter to pass the hate to "liberate" one copy of a book and put it on the torrents and there's nothing the publisher could do about it according to this system (one-time fine and it's over)? (Of course, a solicitation for funds would technically be an illegal conspiracy along the lines of the anti-organized crime laws, but let's play along for arguments' sake.)

If the fine is large enough to prevent that, then the punishment would be so severe as to discourage anyone from ever buying a file, not ulike people being sued by the MAFIAA/RIAA to the point of losing their homes and declaring bankruptcy.

I really dislike a proposal that requires everyone in the world to lock up their files like they were firearms with draconian penalties for being...well, not careless, but perhaps well-meaning but inept. Look at how many Windows computers are compromised around the world because people simply don't get the idea of having decent up-to-date anti-virus and firewall. And yet people are expected to ensure that no one else ever accesses their computers to ensure their ebooks and media aren't stolen? This really isn't practical.

Plus, imagine the fun some people would have with "Hey, I want to get revenge on this guy, let's set him up by seeding his media files on the web."

Plus people hacking into computers and stealing their files just for fun, because it can be done. I mean, that's been going on since day one in computing.

With file conversion, it would be trivially easy to take out the social watermarking -- convert from any format to plain text, problem solved.

With non-DRM files (as are suggested here), there's nothing that can prevent that.

Honestly, I would really like a simple solution -- becuase I just want to buy and download my books instead of having DRMd files that I will lose when the vendor goes bankrupt, as is happening with Fictionwise, as happened with Microsoft and WalMart's music files, as happened with Microsoft Reader.

Anyone who buys DRMd files is clearly not paying attention to history...sooner or later, you WILL get screwed.

I have a simple DRM solution -- sell DRM free files at a reasonable price, let people download their files and quit treating paying customers like criminals.

It works for the HumbleBundle, it can work for you.

Last edited by BillSmithBooks; 11-17-2012 at 05:03 PM.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote