View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
a few oddities : special characters

i have a book with a lot of special characters (greek, phonetic transcriptions, etc.) which are encoded in html or included as images. the special characters don't work at all on my eb1150, which is a shame. so i thought it would be the perfect opportunity to enjoy this book, since the html displays perfectly, so logically i should be able to make a lovely .prc without losing anything.

oddity 1 (mobipocket) : when creating my mobipocket, first i wanted to use the html file. so i imported the the .htm and all the images into mobipocket creator (drag / drop in the window). when i launch the "build" of the book, i can follow the progress and it indicates the conversion of each image file. if it converts them, it means it found them, logically. yet, at the end, it gives me a list of errors saying it was UNABLE to find the images, and they are not in fact in the book. why ?? also, i had a .css style sheet which it did not want to take. that's kind of a shame.

oddity 2 (bookeen) : through perseverence, i did eventually manage to make a really nice .prc edition, by starting from the .opf file created by convertLit, so now i have a beautiful mobi book, perfectly formatted, with all the images and every special character, when i preview it in the pc mobipocket reader. yay ! BUT, when i transfer the book to the cybook, arg !! a lot of the special characters disappear !!! and i have those stupid blank squares instead. i thought, maybe the font i am using is not complete, so i charged Times New Roman (i don't think there is a glyph in the world which is not represented in TNR). still those squares. so, it must come from the firmware, which only supports a partial charset. and frankly i find that very disappointing. it would be really nice to have that fixed in a firmware update.

other mobipocket oddity which i forgot to mention the last time, concerning html and images : when i catch an RSS feed with the mobipocket reader, it doesn't take the images. i can tell you, when you want the RSS of a comic strip, if you don't have the images, there's really no point.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote