View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
cybook vs. eb1150

when i am not showing off with my cybook-for-a-week, i read on an eb1150. so here's a short comparison of the two.

you'll understand better, seeing the photos, why i was so impressed with the tiny size and especially the tiny weight of the cybook ; the eb1150 has a screen barely smaller, but it is about twice as thick at it's thinnest part, and more than 3 x as thick at it's thickest part. let's not even talk about the weight : according to the wiki, it's 18 ounces, so 510g, compared to 174g for the cybook !!! you understand why i don't carry it all over the city with me, but only use it at home.

i won't compare the screens, because the eb1150 has an lcd screen, not e-ink. i'll just say it's going to be hard to go back to it, now that i've tried out e-ink... especially since, i don't know where they dug out the font on the eb1150, but it's pretty ugly, and you can't change it.

speaking of which, being able to add your own fonts is an amazing feature on the cybook. i tried with Gill Sans, it's really nice. it happens that i prefer a serif font for reading, and Georgia (furnished by default) is one of my favorites, but i can easily imagine a situation where a specific font might be really useful, for example for showing special characters (enormous shortcoming of my eb1150 which i have already encountered, when i tried to convert a book which has a lot of greek characters).

on the other hand, and i expected this before ever having my mitts on the cybook, i continue to find that the eb1150 succeeded brilliantly in creating a really ergonomical design. first, the 2 big buttons on the side mean you can turn the page without any effort, quite naturally. you can hold your liseuse with one hand quite comfortably, without moving a finger (never was the expression so apt...) to turn the page. and, the cherry on top, when you are all snuggled under your quilt with a good book, which you're barely holding with one hand, and you want to change position, you can rotate the screen to hold it with the other hand ! yeah baby ! and when you do this, the buttons are automatically remapped, so that the top one is to page forward, and the bottom one to page backwards (unless you modifie this preference in the options). bravo !! not to mention the enormous advantage for, say, someone who is handicapped in their left arm (i'm being completely sincere here), and who can only hold it with their right hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook_eb1150_1.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	14303   Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook_eb1150_2.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	14304   Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook_eb1150_3.jpg
Views:	452