View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 01:01 AM   #10
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Review by Vine Voice:

A sequel. Part two. Book two. Two little words that make me cringe. As a rule, I try to avoid series (although it seems that is all I'm reading these days, go figure). It's not that I have anything against them. I like the character development that can happen across multiple books. I like following story lines and threads through to the bitter end. I don't like BOOK TWO though. That usually means that, well, it's going to suck. What is it with "book two"? Do authors set out to make them bad or does it just happen that way?

I read the first book of this series and got to the end where I realized there will be a book two. I really wanted to cry. It meant that a story I liked would likely be slaughtered. But I powered through and I bought Equilibrium just the same. Man, am I glad that I did! Imogen Rose has done a fantastic job of continuing the story while introducing us to new elements. There wasn't a sucky story line in the bunch. Kudos to her! Well edited, well executed and just downright fun.

The thing that I think I like about these books is that they are not heavy. It's pretty light scifi time travel, which is right up my alley. There's a young adult element to it, but unlike other popular YA, I don't feel the need to have a friend hold down Arizona while I beat the living snot out of her. She's a likable character with very realistic teenage angst. It just happens that her mom built a time portal and she remembers her life from another dimension. Yup, pretty normal, alright!

Seriously though. This book is very well done. The author is definitely one to watch. Her writing style is perfect for this sub-genre of YA and I hope she sticks with it. Her writing was great in the first book and she doesn't disappoint in the second. I'm told the third book will be out in the Fall 2010. Let's hope! The ending left me on edge, ahhh!, cliffhangers!

I'd give this 4.5 stars if I could. It loses a half star because there's a few time where the... I'm not sure of the phrase for it, but who's "speaking" change. It goes from being narrated to first person (Arizona) a few times without really giving us a heads up as to what's going on. For instance, it went from telling us what Rupert was doing and a few paragraphs later it read "I laughed". Um, the narrator laughed? SO very minor and not something I would noticed usually. And yes, there was a ---- break to show a change of scene. It's my own personal niggle. I'm weird like that, folks!

Very highly recommended. A light read that will leave you smiling. Trust me, just buy it.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote