View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #37
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
ARISE! :-)

Well. At last I have real PW2 so I could research this topic from scratch without tormenting my testers.

@KevinH - it seems that your script is fully usable. No idea what changed but it simply... work. I will incorporate your code in next KCC release (and drop KindleUnpack).

The process looks like this:
* Source EPUB file is converted with newest Kindlegen using -dont_append_source option.
* We receive hybrid MOBI (M6/KF8 headers) without SOURCE section.
* Ouput file is processed by DualMetaFix. We change fields 113, 501, 504 in both headers.

Now if we upload ready file manually to Kindle - it appear without Personal banner. Kindle is trying to download cover but it fails due fake ASIN and fallback to generic placeholder cover. It don't use low-res cover from file at all.

If we upload ready file with Calibre - fields 113, 501, 504 are untouched. And Calibre upload book cover to Kindle cache. And everything is displayed correctly - we have cover and no Personal banner. But we must remember that Calibre upload cover from own metadata database NOT from MOBI file itself.

If we send that file through Amazon Cloud we receive AZW3 file (KF8 only) - personal document with generic placeholder cover.

/offtopic
It would be nice feature if Calibre could import cover from MOBI. I have some code what can cut covers from MOBI files but it is hacky, hack and currently I don't have time to research Calibre code and implement it properly.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 05-04-2014 at 03:14 PM.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote